Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Kelp Forest

Since TCAP's are over, I get to teach whatever I want.  I have already taught my sixth graders everything they need to know - supposedly.  So, we are studying the environment.  Last week, we talked about endangered animals.  This week, we are studying the ocean.  And what is more perfect than the kelp forest when we talk about the ocean!
So, we checked out the live webcams at the Monterey Bay Aquarium.  The live feed is from 7-7 Pacific time, but it is awesome.  They have several feeds, the kelp forest, penguins, and the actual Monterrey Bay.  Check it out here!  It is pretty mesmerizing!
So, I was inspired to create my own kelp forest with the help of my 75 closest friends.  I gave them each 10 foot by 2 foot (approximately) pieces of bulletin board paper and told them to create a piece of kelp and surrounding animals.  I hung them from the ceiling with hangers.  The pictures don't really do it justice... but this is what I've got. 

The best part is it hides the huge pile of stuff in the corner!  Even my kids were impressed - not an easy task.  We are also watching the movie Oceans by DisneyNature.  I've only seen the first fifteen minutes (five times) but it is really good!  I highly recommend it - and Mom, you can stream it on NetFlix!

No comments:

Post a Comment